Got involved in a car accident? You are probably going to think about the money you’ll be spending on your medical check-up and repairing the damages on your car. If you are injured, you’re also going to worry about shouldering the other damages in curred because of the accident.

But don’t fret over it. If you have been involved in a car accident, you can claim auto benefits to cover the costs incurred by the accident. Anyone who has auto insurance coverage acquired through the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC)can file for an ICBC claim compensation.

You are entitled to an ICBC claim through the type of insurance coverage you have. Whether the car accident was your fault or not or whether it happened in Canada or the United States, you are still entitled to an ICBC claim.

An ICBC claim compensation can cover the following costs:

  • Replacement or repair of your vehicle
  • Medical bills, past and future, incurred or to be incurred in relation with the accident
  • Lost wages and future income opportunities
  • All expenses related to the accident
  • Pain and suffering caused by the accident

An ICBC claim compensation can work in tandem with any type of auto insurance coverage you have.  For example, your Collision Coverage can protect you when you are involved in either a single or multiple vehicle collision and has caused you bodily injuries,damage to your vehicle, and even death. Your Comprehensive Coverage, on the other hand, can cover the damages on your vehicle caused by hail, fire or vandalism. It can also cover the cost of the parts of, or the entire vehicle due to theft.

If you have been injured in a vehicle accident, ICBC needs to provide you with the benefits. You can claim benefits of up to $150,000 which you can use towards your medical expenses. The benefits can also help cover wage loss if you are unable to work due to injuries caused by the accident.

Notifying the ICBC

If you were driving a vehicle and got involved in a car accident, it is your legal duty to inform the ICBC of the accident. Even if you were not the driver, notifying the ICBC should be your top priority in case of vehicular accident or theft.  Here’s what you need to do:

  1. Call ICBC within 24 hours of the vehicle accident.
  2. Provide the ICBC with a statement relating to the accident. This should be done within 30 days of the vehicle accident.
  3. Furnish ICBC with an application for benefits (CL22) within 90 days of the vehicle accident.

You have within two years from the date of the vehicle accident to file for your ICBC claim. This is the time limit set for a tort claim, a kind of legal claim against the other driver involved in the accident. It would be best to consult icbc lawyers so you will be guided accordingly with the claim.